Monday, October 24, 2011

24 October 2011

Wasn't really planning to write tonight, but I guess I felt I needed to share a little!



Well, the Conference ended on Saturday evening, after the majority of the delegates, adults and kids, ran what is called "The Wellington Race" on Saturday morning (through an icy lake and up a 45 degree hill (guess who didn't


Yip, gave that one a miss, but have to say everyone really did well!

Then in the afternoon things were pretty relaxed as well, and the evening was initially a "Night at the Proms" kind of affair with the orchestra from Wellington - where the kids were really not all that interested, the adults enjoyed the music a good deal, and kids were waiting for the live band and the chance to dance the night away.

Fortunately the "night" was cutailed by them being called outside, where it was a tad chilly, and then we were given a fireworks spectacle. Some incredible fireworks, and I must say - either the tiredness or the madness in me talking, but I was quite surprised at the way in which some of the fireworks are designmed to go off in a rather comedic or cheeky fashion - a flash of colour before the grande finale - but then I have not seen that many fireworks displays.

The next morning it was a case of trying to pack things and an early-ish start after the late night. Then went down to the dorm in which I was staying and enjoyed the last moments of peace (and watched three squirrels playing in the trees just in front of the house in which I was staying beforehand - who were obviously also enjoying the peace and quiet). The group was going into Reading, and then would return later in order to gather their luggage and catch a bus to the airport. I received a message from Christine at about 4:30pm today, so gather it was about 3:30pm SA time, to say they had all arrived safe and sound.

It was wonderful to see and finally meet (for the first time some of them!) my aunt and uncle, and then a little later all the family barring my one cousin and his family who live in Denver, USA. I had a chance to go walking with my cousin who I have never met and who is just the most generous and wonderful person, Denise, as we walked along part of the main road through the village I have now discovered is called "White Chapel" (I think!), accompanied by Luke (Denise's nephew - and so not too sure what that makes him to me) she then pushed the stroller in which little Emma was buckled in. They are really both gorgeous kids, and have the most beautiful eyes!

Denise is in the process of training for her first half-marathon, and I have to say I admire her. Mind you, anyone who runs for pleasure and not because they have to deserves a medal of some sort in my book! Running really is not for me! She had managed a good run the afternoon before, and so on the way back, she and Luke challeneged each other to a run through a small clearing and back. He won, needless to say, but it was lovely to see. He also has a wonderful vocabulary, and no shortage of confidence. When I congratulated him for something that he had done and told him that I thought he was a very smary boy, he reassured me that he was indeed smart. These pics give you and idea of both the area, as well as this "training run" for Denise!





You can't really see all that much detail of Dee and Luke, but you get a sense of the lovely area. I will take more pics and put them on as soon as I do. It is very beautiful here.

This is a little better as you get some of Luke's face a little clearer. He is gorgeous.




Last night was a battle for me to stay awake, and eventually at 8 I called it quits, only to discover that everything was basically still in bags and cases and so spent about half an hour unpacking and trying to sort myself out. Then collapsed into bed and slept until 8am. A good night's sleep.

This morning we had breakfast before jumping into the car with the two pups and off to one of the walks along one of the canals. Beautiful - and a chance to see one of the "locks" on the canal, as well as eat blueberries straight from the bushes along the side of the canal!

Then this afternoon was another long snooze. I have to confess that I seem to be doing a fair amount of that at present, but I guess that is what happens when things have been so chaotic all year through.

I will have to start getting my thoughts gathered together in terms of plans for this trip, or the time will run away with me, and poor Aunt Pam and Uncle Dave will find me staying with them the entire time and my not having done a thing!!!

Well, all for the time being. Aunt Pam has some work to do tomorrow, but we will probably take the dogs for a walk (and this time I will take my camera as well) and I might then venture out into the village and do a little sight seeing as well as taking some pics in an effort to try and capture the beauty of the area.

Well all for now. Lids are heavy and sleep is calling.

All my love
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment