Tuesday, October 18, 2011

17 October 2011

Too late to really post anything worthwhile - so am afraid you will have to be happy with a rather half-baked affair! :-)

Today has been another journey – literally. We have travelled from our hotel in Paris, via the Metro carrying bags of luggage and bits that had been bought during our time in Paris and the more rural area of Ambroise. It was quite a mission, and true to my usual form, I carried more than I ought in the form of my netbook case and all the bits therein, my camera and all the bits therein, a bag that I had kept for luggage and toiletries that had been needed for the last three days (including today) (which was most organised of me, if a little clumsy in terms of lugging things about.

So, we marched through until the station for the Eurostar – and that it where this finds me writing this. It will give me a chance to try and catch up on the week thus far in terms of what we were fortunate enough to enjoy.

So, I got the point of day one where we went for a tour of Versailles. I was most intrigued that this castle was built in response to the Louis reigning at the time who got miffed at the fact that his palace had been the Louvre, and when, I think it was his tax collector commissioned a massive home for himself, Louis got jealous and so decided he needed something a little more fitting for a king – and so the palace of Versailles was built – or added on to, as it had served as a hunting lodge for the king and his acolytes. ( I have a suspicion that I shared this on FB - but you will all have to be patient.

And now, because I am too tired to write much - some pics from Versailles:

The palace from a little distance



The central block that is somewhat obscured by the great gates is the old hunting cottage



The famous "Hall of Mirrors"



No comments:

Post a Comment