Friday, October 21, 2011

21 October 2011

I am trying very hard to be diligent!

Not too much to report, 'cept the school email is working again, but have been having some hassles logging in to the wifi at Wellington. Amazing how we can become sooooo dependent on technology.

Mum, I had to laugh at you comment re the speakers at the conference in your email - and that for the news and the words of encouragement. I really am spoilt having such a wonderful mum!!! I will try and write you a proper mail tomorrow, as the one meeting we had scheduled now won't happen as we have all the matters covered that needed to be discussed in the Rep's meeting. I can't see that I will get much chance to write until during the week next week, after I am finally collected by my wonderful aunt and uncle!!! So exciting!

We had an incredible speaker today. Her name is Karen Darke and she has written a book called "If You Fall ... It's a New Beginning". So Inspirational!!! And I have bought her book as well as I was really impressed by her.

She climbed mountains as a hobby, and came crashing off one just after turning 21. That resulted in her being paralysed and so she spent an age in a hospital bed looking at a ceiling - as she also broke her neck in the accident. She is now training for next year's Para-Olympics and will be entering in the cycling race.

She was so down to earth and unassuming. She also told things as they are. I reckon that at the London Olympics next year, she will have approximately 1 000 extra fans cheering her on after hearing her speak today!

Do yourselves a favour and have a look at her website: http://karendarke.com/

It has her story in it - plus more than what she told us this morning.

Truly inspirational!

The day ended in a very different way to what usually happens with regards Round Square Conferences, in that Wellington is a traditional Church school, and so decided to include a spiritual component in the Conference. Quite a feat when one considers that we have people of such diversities of faith in the organisation - and so we had a multifaith celbration and meditation. It was really all rather lovely - and then I dicovered that I could get Rooibos tea here - except they call it "Red Bush Tea". Yay!!!

Okay, so tonight is going to be something of a record - almost 10pm, and I am about to call it a night. The kids are still busy with something called "Cool Britannia", after which the adults have what is euphemistically called a debrief session, and all it is is a chance for everyone to have some down time with alcohol flowing without kids around. Not my scene, and I have to confess that this year I have not been to a single one of the evenings - I simply do not see the point of them!

Ah well. All for now, wonderful people.

Much love
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment