Thursday, October 20, 2011

20 October 2011

Yesterday was not a good day - fortunately today was somewhat better! Long, but relatively constructive, which was pleasant.


As you have probably noticed, I am having a fair amount of fun discovering all these silly additions that I can add to the blog. They do need sound - Mum, you will need to turn yours on!

I had a most interesting thing happen today. Last year at the Thailand Conference, I approached the school that had just been brought in as a global member to Round Square from Denmark, and spoke briefly to the rep about the chance of us being able to link up and do exchanges. She was so curt and effectively did the fly swat above about the whole thing.

Today, we had our next reps meeting, and she came running over to me (which is something, since she is probably all of 25-30, about my size, but with an image that I neither have nor care to have in terms of wearing the high heels, etc, etc.

I am most disappointed that my new "toy" of gadgets doesn't have a "Betty Boop pic, but, so be it, I guess - that is the kind of image she portrays!

Okay need to dash off and check my washing quickly!

Okay, back for about an hour as I wait for the washing to dry now!

So, little Miss Betty Booper, tells me last year that she has been approached by so many people that she really doesn't think she would be able to accommodate me. This year, she rushes up and tells me that she has been speaking to other reps in the European region and has a boy wanting to go to SA, and they had suggested that she touch base with me.

So, I hear her out, listen to her story, discuss potential dates and that I like exchanges to be reciprocal, and finally accept a boy she thinks would work for us.

Then ... she tells me that she really needs to let me know that the school allows the kids to have a beer or three, there are few rules regarding boys and girls in each others rooms (I have since discovered that that is the case until about 10:30, when all are supposed to return to their own bedrooms, and that the kids are allowed to smoke!). So, I am now caught in something of a dilemma.

I have also since discovered - helps to be able to spend time with a couple of the heads of schools from SA who have been chatting to the head of the Danish school - and they tell me that he had been telling them that he and his school are starting to realise that this is a problem for some schools, and they might have to rethink things. So, do I let a boy go to the school, with my parents knowing that this is what their son will be exposed to, or do I make this an experience where we take her young man (who may well be put off when he discovers that we have a few rules that are pretty strict, and that he will have to abide by them!) and then see what happens.

The joys of being a "glorified travel agent"!


We spent much of the day in one meeting after another, while the kids were off on their adventure activities - which were not all really stretching the kids - the one trip was a visit to Oxford and a walk around the place - which I later discovered was something of a damp squib, as they arrived a little too late at each place to do anything worthwhile there. But, I guess they had the chance to visit Oxford.

I also had to explain to two of my boys that they had not made it onto the final Prefect Body. Both took it badly - as one would expect, but I will make sure that I can work something for them if they wish it that way.

Apart from that, this evening was an evening where we had various groups of kids doing traditional dances. Interesting to see the differences and similarities in these!


And now, I think I am going to go and see if I can actually get my washing from the drier and call it a night. Tired - and late again!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment