Saturday, March 26, 2011

New Challenges! :-)

Well, been a while and spurred on by my "colleagues" as they are called on the Virtual Art Academy - but who have become more like friends, I have decided to try and spend more time painting since I have come to the end of a large chunk of the theoretical component of my Painting Course and now need to start producing some work.

One of the wonderful people there - her blog is listed on my blog ("Sketching Around" - have a look at her Zippo lighter painting - incredible!) - Janette - keeps encouraging and inspiring me to try to reach bigger and greater heights - and one of the ways in which she has inspired me is that she is a member of the sire "Daily Paint Works Challenge". This is a little of a misnomer in that one is not expected to post a painting a day, but instead, each week they present us with a challenge and then (for me anyway), I have the chance to try something new and different.

As a result of the Japanese disaster, the DPW Painting Challenge encouraged us all to submit a painting that we would donate to a cause to help with the relief in Japan. The theme for this was "Home" - which was rather appropriate - and so I decided what is more like me than books and roses - and so I tackled this subject.

It was a little tricky, as I was effectively forced to complete the exercise over a week - and as we all know roses don't last out of water all that long. So last weekend I completed the roses aspect, and then tackled the books and shadows and such like after that. It was a challenge, but an enjoyable one - and as with all my painting the challenge for me is always to do better in each painting - and by tackling the subject of the roses, I think I have done that! I would love feedback! Oh, and if you would like the original, it is on sale on the DPW Challege website (http://www.dailypaintworks.com/Challenge/) if you want to contribute to the Japanese Red Cross.

Below is what you would expect - basically an A4 - oil on canvas sheet.


There is still room for improvement - but I have not got to the point of chopping my ear off just yet ;-)
Much love
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment