Friday, March 18, 2011

A case of hacking coughing!

Ugh, there is one thing that irritates me - and that is when I am ill. I have really little patience with myself under these circumstances - but as someone has said, I am really being very mean to myself and my body by being so harsh on my poor body who serves me so well despite the fact that I generally do not look after it as I ought to. So, the long and short of it, is that I finally went to see my doc on Wednesday, after a sore throat starting last week and hoping that I would be able to fend it off myself without having to go onto a dose of antibiotics. Best laid plans and all that...

Now it had gone to my chest and trachea - so am wheezing and coughing much better. Been on the antibiotics and such-like for two days now, and have to confess that not feeling much different - except more of a headache thanks to all the coughing.

Okay, enough feeling sorry for myself!

Have to go to school tomorrow (have been off since Tuesday actually) as we have our annual "Saints Experience" and I offered to do a lesson that is creative writing based for the Grade 7s who are coming to the school tomorrow to get a feel for what the school is all about.

I did the self-same lesson when I was at Fourways, with all my classes, and it was a really fun exercise - well I thought so, and the majority of the kids gained from it - partly because they were able to spend a lesson not having to worry about time, what else they had to do and just relax and "be in the moment".

What I basically do is transform a classroom into an oasis of "other-worldness" by moving chairs and tables out of the way, arranging some in a particular way that allows them to be used as drapery points, and then I take into the classroom a whole load of things that will help stimulate the imagination.

Before the kids go into the classroom they are given an "invitation" that is more along the lines of an instruction sheet in terms of what to expect. All I ask from them is that at the end of the time in the classroom they produces a piece of writing. With this lot being Grade 7s, I reckoned that I would give them ideas for types of writing that they might like to do - and we will see how that goes.

I ought to be working on finishing that up so that tomorrow morning it is all ready for me to go to school, and all I need to do is get some boys to unpack my car and carry the paraphernalia to the classroom I will be using, and then I can set everything up and be ready and waiting for the groups to arrive.

I just wish I was feeling a little more full of beans, since, although this is a lesson that is quite relaxed and calming from my side, I do like to have a sense of being "present" for the kids. Oh well, maybe tomorrow morning things will look brighter!

I am being a misery aren't I? So I guess I had better end off here and leave things for the time being!

No comments:

Post a Comment