Thursday, November 3, 2011

3 November 2011

Once again today, as with so many other days that I have been in the UK, I find that I feel as though I am living in a surreal dream. There is this sense in a number of ways that I am home (I am sure in no small measure due to the wonderful manner in which my family have welcomed me into their homes and hearts). But at the same time I find myself trying to comprehend that I am no longer in the African continent, but instead on that little island off the coast of Europe that has always been pointed out as the motherland of my maternal grandmother.

I have been blessed that over the last two weeks I have gone out each weekday morning for a walk with my aunt and the two dogs. We walk in a variety of places and each is beautiful in its own way - all with the tree foliage turning all autumn shades and losing the leaves in preparation for winter, which seems to be around the corner. I can feel the chilly weather approaching.







The above photos were actually taken on our walk last week with my cousin's two children - Luke and Emma, who really are delightful. Aunt Pam looks after them each Thursday morning, and after lunch she then takes them to school and "day care" respectively - each place being just a brief walk from the other. Last week was the school half term, and so we had the children for the full day.

Poor Aunt Pam kept worrying about the weather as both Emma and Luke enjoy the outdoors. It was miserable in the morning in terms of raining, but the afternoon was a little more accommodating as we were able to go on a walk, where Luke could see the cows lying in a field (by clambering up and looking over a gate), enjoy a close encounter with a very friendly horse that was grazing on the one farm, and then peek through the fence of another to spot the chickens. We also saw some vibrant orange pumpkins, picked at that time, no doubt, for Hallowe'en. Luke also had fun finding and then mushing aound in the various puddles of water. Here a pic of Luke, Aunt Pam and Bella:


Time was also spent making some cup cakes with a Hallowe'en themed cupcake paper holder and toothpicks that could be stuck into the cakes, atop which were four different themes pictures - a witch, a pumpkin, a ghost and something resembling Frankenstein's monster (if I recall correctly). Great fun and excitement for Luke.



Needless to say, at the end of that lovely day, despite really enjoying being able to spend all that time with the children and Aunt Pam, I was exhausted, and Aunt Pam appeared for all the world to see as though this was just another day in her home. She is incredible with the kids and although they have the most incredible amenable personalities, she just knows how to handle them in terms of when to distract, change activities, or whatever. I was once again aware I was cut out to be a high school teacher and not a primary school teacher!

Well folks, that is all for the time being. Am trying to finish the jersey/jacket I am knitting as requested by Luke - who keeps taking me to task when he sees me with a "Why aren't you knitting?" the moment I put my knitting down. None the less, having probably pulled about half as much out as I have knitted, I am getting there and am sure that I will finish the jersey by the time I return from Andrea and Vaughn - who I am so excited I will be visiting next week - being delivered there by my generous youngest cousin this Saturday.

So, all for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment