Saturday, November 19, 2011

19 November 2011

Life is interesting! I have commented to people, and often thought during this trip that if someone had suggested that I would be spending a holiday in the UK - spending time with Aunt Pam, Uncle Dave and my cousins - about 5 years ago, I would have thought that they were mad! And yet here I am. In the UK. In Wales at present, kindly being hosted by Dee's hubby's mum and dad - Jenny and Stan.

And as with all other things, there is always a story to tell. But before I get to that, I just have to say, once again, it has been both a pleasure and a privilege firstly to have the chance to come and spend time in the UK, and then secondly the incredible manner in which I have been so warmly welcomed. My Aunt and Uncle have welcomed me with open arms, and made sure that I have been able to just enjoy myself, experience things and most importantly relax and enjoy time with family and friends.

I have LOVED the fact that I have been able to get to know in particular, Dee and Dan, Nix and Peter, Luke and Emma - and a little of Ant and Catherine.

I have also now had a chance to spend a really welcoming and open-hearted gift of being able to spend time with Dan's parents, Jenny and Stan. Jenny has made sure that we have enjoyed some delicious meals, the house (and that is my story to tell) is warm and embracing and Stan has both a wicked sense of humour as well as a story to tell about all sorts of things. Thanks so much to Dee and Dan for driving the five of us here as well as to Jenny and Stan for welcoming me so warmly!

Okay, story time!!!!


This is the back view of Jenny and Stan's home, as well as a second property - the pink one, that once formed part of an old mill. The story, as I understand things, is that the two properties were at one stage, firstly a single enclosure (for want of a better word), and secondly, half of Jenny and Stan's house was not here.





They have had built onto their property, on the left, the kitchen and lounge areas, and in the process they have also been able to enjoy a gorgeous garden - at the bottom of which there is a "babbling brook" - well, a stream runs along the lower end of the property! The stream would have been used as part of the mill operation in the old days.



Then the pond that Stan has built is also part of what would have been the original mill operation, and now is part of their lovely garden. I had to smile as I recalled the times that Mum and Dad used to work on the garden at home, when I heard Stan describing the roles he and Jenny have in the garden. He states that he is the one who makes the things for the garden, Jenny is the gardener.


This is a quirky arrangement that Stan and Jenny have in the garden, that with me being starved of kitties, as it were, appealed to me - even if their Charlie kitty does give me a minuscule dollop of kitty attention now and again - in typical kitty manner!


Following breakfast, it was decided that we would go to the Botanical Gardens. What a treat in terms of the most incredibly beautiful scenery and some very interesting (and in the "world" section, I even had some plants that were oh so familiar, as they were from South Africa!)

When you enter the gardens on the right hand side there is the first of what once was a group of seven lakes. These were actually drained during the second world war, as the lakes were being used by the German fighter planes as a beacon in terms of giving them a position on the map in terms of where to drop their bombs. The Garden is in the process of re-introducing the lakes, and obviously, need to take into account all the varied things that are associated with reintegration of something from the past in the environment. This morning we were treated to a couple of ducks, both on the edge of the water as well as swimming.


I do think that this picture conveys both the beauty of the entrance, but also the tranquility of the entire place. It really is lovely - and the weather was a treat - again!


I loved this sign post - hence its inclusion.


We then took a walk up to the rather whimsically called, "double walled garden". What this is, is literally an ancient garden that had a double wall around the entire garden. It was divided into four sections, and each "housed" different types of plants that would have typically been grown in a garden of this nature in the past. What was also interesting was that the double walling, also meant that in the gap between the two walls, which I would hazard a guess was about 3 or so meters, allowed the gardeners to plant plants that might need a little more protection from the elements.

I loved this feature that was part of a school project vegetable garden. It is a "green house" - with Dan striding purposefully passed :-). But, have a closer look and you will see that a frame has been constructed, and then within that frame the walls and roof are made primarily of old plastic bottles. I think this is such an intelligent thing - and something that already has my mind running away with ways in which it might be able to be put to use for the various groups of people who we work with through the school. It can be extended, and in this way, even in cold climates or frost-likely areas, plants can be grown "for the pot".


On our way through the gardens, we came to a natural stop as it were, for the gift shop and cafe. In the window was this arrangement, which both Aunt Pam and I could not quite work out. On closer inspection we discovered that it is in fact an art piece made in a kind of mosaic style, but using broken crockery. So unusual!


From there we walked towards a castle effect, which now houses offices for some of the people who obviously work at the gardens.


We then made our way to the giant dome shaped centre - in which there were species of plants from all manner of places - and this was one of the places where I was able to find South African plants - although, none really looking in their splendour as such.



I also found this most beautiful, and incredibly tame robin! I was patient, and although I was using a slight zoom on my camera, this is really basically how close the little thing was to me. After he had finished posing for me, he then flew off - but for both my sake - and Andrea's (:-)), I have this gorgeous pic of a "robin redbreast".


The dome is huge and houses a massive variety of plants, basically from relatively tropical types of places. Australia also featured - and so Silks, this "kangaroo foot" (if I recall the name correctly) was taken as a memento for you!!


And now, the brain is tired, the eyes drooping and so I think I will call it a day! But herewith a pic of Dee, Jenny and Dan - all of whom found themselves frowning somewhat as they were looking into the sun!



Thanks to all for a wonderful, wonderful day.

All my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment