Thursday, November 17, 2011

17 November 2011

Time sure flies! And I cannot believe that in three different messages, to three different people (well, the one was an email to more than one person, so I guess a few more than that!) I have casually stated that "tomorrow I am off to Wales for the weekend". Sounds so poncey and so forth, but, there you have it. So, what's been happening? A whole load, and I just NEVER seem to have the chance to catch up with people and make sure that I am keeping people updated - so advance apologies to everyone!!!

On Sunday, following Dee's birthday, we basically had a fairly relaxed day, apart from taking the dogs on a walk along one of the canals on the Thames. We had a chance to just enjoy the area, let the dogs run free - and then, my favourite, pop in for a hot chocolate (something I almost NEVER have in SA!) at one of the pubs.

Have a look at some of these pics - just gorgeous, especially as I am really not a person who enjoys hot weather, so this weather here has been perfect for me - and in fact people keep saying how lucky I have been with the weather!

Now, is this not just the most gorgeous scene?

While we were on our walk, the local canoe club were out as well and created such a colourful mix to the various water birds on the canal. And, although this pic doesn't really capture the scene, I like it for all the sentimental reasons of having my uncle in the pic, trying to get out of the way of me taking photos! (You can also see Fudge and Bella just beyond Uncle Dave - and Hengie you would go nuts for Fudge especially!!!)


We also came across a bull mastiff who was being "baby sat" by a couple who also had a Scottie kind of dog and who were out walking their dog and the "puppy". Made me somewhat home-sick for my lot at home - cats and dogs! He was full of the joys of life and romped about without a care in the world!


Tried something a little creative here as I thought it would be a good idea to try and capture the sun that was finally showing itself after a couple of misty, moisty mornings (and in fact this morning had started out that way too).


Monday was something special, as Dee had a day off and was able to take Aunt Pam and I through to Windsor, where we went to Windsor Castle and saw the changing of the guard.

But, before I get to that - Aunt Pam was bemused. We went to one of the public loos before walking up to Windsor Castle. As I came out, there was another woman on her phone taking a pic of the signs below as well as the beautiful paintings on the walls. I kept it to the signs, simply because I could not believe the fact that I was seeing signs up announcing that these were award winning loos - reassuring, but ????

I never knew the changing of the guard was such a performance. I mean all, the things I have seen have involved the "little 'toy soldiers'" marching from one spot to the next and then it was all over.

Well, this was anything but! First you do have group of soldiers standing guard in formation, but the whole thing takes about 45 minutes!

There was a whole thing of a brass band coming down ahead of the new guards who a were due to take over.


Then there followed a whole load of ceremonial, and I am sure all sorts of procedural "stuff" that the two sets of guards followed before the brass band took the "earlier shift" off and called it "a day".

Thus leaving the new group to stand their turn!


And then my camera battery died, and like a clot, I had not packed my backup with me and so was not able to take any more pics! I can assure you the weather was pretty chilly, so poor Aunt Pam, found a more sheltered area as she indulged her niece the chance to watch the whole performance.

After the ceremony was completed, we then went into St George's Cathedral(? I think it is a cathedral?). I am always amazed when I look in these buildings at the height of the ceilings and the work of both the stone masons and where applicable the various sorts of artists. How they got up to those heights and completed what they did is nothing short of awe-inspiring. Today, apart from all the health and safety checks and risk assessments that would have to be put into place, we have things like stable scaffolding, lifts or other devices that would work well, but what these artists must have had to go through must have been something else.

We went in and saw Queen Mary's Doll House. Well, this was something else! The teeny knives and forks, the attention to detail in each and every room and part of the house, it was just incredible.

Following this we went through an exhibit of two dolls that had been presented to the Queen and Princess Margaret when they were children. I made the comment to Dee that I wondered whether the Queen ever walked around this exhibit and thought back to her childhood and what memories those kinds of things conjured up. I also keep wondering with her, as well as with some other aspects of famous people on this trip, whether those people have ever thought what it might have been like to have been born into a different role in life.

Funny - when we were children, dress ups involved being the princess, cowboy or some other glamorous figure - what do you do for "pretend" if you are born into that glamorous life? Maybe that explains people like Paris Hilton?

After this we went for lunch at the Crooked House. It literally is a restaurant, with two stories and a basement, and leaning slightly to one's left if you face it. It apparently does this because when it was built it was built using green oak, and as this cured, so the warping of the timber caused the house to lean - hence the name. Caused much giggling between the three of us as to who would land where if the house actually fell over while we were inside it eating our lunch! :-)

And then back to the car and in a rainy fashion, Dee took us on a drive through Eton - the boys at Eton, have as their uniform a coat with tails. I have to confess that I wondered at some of our boys wearing that get-up. Not too sure what to make of the whole thing, I do have to confess!

Tuesday was a morning spent wandering the "high street" of Newbury to try and see whether there were any gift ideas or other things that could be added to my already overloaded suitcase, before Aunt Pam collected me and we were back for lunch, before rushing out and doing a little grocery shopping and then back a dinner prep, etc.

Yesterday was spent trying to finish as much as possible of Luke's jacket - and have now ordered the dinosaur buttons that are going to adorn the front of the jacket - and so need to wait their arrival before I can finish knitting up the front bands, as well as then finishing the collar and hood - and then Lukie ought to be all set, and I hope chuffed with the end product.

That has now given me the excuse to start one of my cross stitches that I have bought here, while at the same time knitting up patterned squares for a pram (but might convert it into a cot) blanket for a colleague who is expecting his babba next year. The cross stitch is created by the same people who created my other one that is all but finished and that I left at home as I had no desire to have it go missing when it is so close to completion. It is lovely, but I am CERTAIN the stitching is much finer than the other one that I was doing - or my eyes have got much worse.

Oh, that reminds me! I keep looking at the various hand made things that the ladies of the years gone by did and wonder how on earth they managed things when many must surely have been short or long sighted, or even going blind - it just amazes me - but then, those of you who know me, know that it doesn't take all that much!!!

Yesterday I also added to my list of "first time experiences" (and this year seems to have been abundant with them!) - two in actual fact!

The first was that while on our walk in the morning with the dogs, Aunt Pam and I were asked to assist a lone barge traveller with a lock that he was battling to manipulate on his own. So there we were working on land to ope (and then close) the lock, and he did his bit on the barge. So, I have helped with a lock on a canal!

Then last night we went around to Dee's as she was hosting a Jamie Oliver Party - similar to a Tupperware Party, but all Jamie Oliver stuff. Some fancy stuff, some very useful stuff, some very heavy stuff for a weary traveller :-), and generally just the kind of stuff one would expect from him and his work. I did wonder why he was not doing the same tihing in SA - but more importantly, why he was supporting Sri Lankan people who are vreating things for him, and South Africa, where I know there is a support base for his products by the "haves", do not offer something for him to market and uplift people in more impoverished circumstances in SA. Got me thinking about the Impendle group and now need to start putting something together me thinks!

Okay, I have waffled on for long enough. Mum, I am so glad you have finally been connected with the electronic world via the Telkom line again - I know how irritated you get with that - but at least things are hopefully back to normal. We will chat tomorrow (yes, in Britain, Friday is still tomorrow - even if the date stamp on this says that this was written on Friday!).

All my love to everyone - and to everyone who tells me that you are missing me, you have no idea what an eye opener that was for me - but, that is for another entry - maybe! :-)

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment