Friday, November 25, 2011

25 November 2011

What a wonderful evening! Taken out to dinner by my aunt and uncle and joined for company by Dee and Dan - and an evening that was spent full of good laughs and thoroughly pleasant family time. I will miss times such as this evening when I return.

I cannot believe how soon my time in the UK is drawing to an end. Just a couple of weeks and a bit and then I jet off back to SA and Uncle Dave and Aunt Pam leave the following day bound for the US to spend time with Alistair and Justine and their two children, Brianna and Josh. It was wonderful going around to Dee and Dan's home the other evening and having a chance to at least "meet" Justine via Skype. I now have a much better idea of who she is - and love the way in which she is so special to this family!

I must say, one of the things that I was really looking forward to was the chance to get to know my aunt and uncle and cousins and their families - some of whom I have either never met or met once or twice only. It has exceeded everything I had hoped for and I have really had such a very special time here. I have loved spending time with the various family members, and I will carry back very special memories from my time spent with each and every one of them!

It has also been wonderful to see Andrea and Vaughn, and to be "treated" by Trish as my personal chauffeur and guide for the week that I was in Farnham and surrounds. To see Andrea so very very happy, and taking on the responsibilities that she has taken on so capably (as I have always believed she could and would!) was such a treat.

Next week it is off to Somerset - the county in which my maternal grandmother grew up, and a chance to meet with three of Mum's cousins who all have different things to share and have all opened their homes in terms of having me spend time with each. I really am blessed - as Rev Dan would say! I look forward to that time - both because it will be a chance to see people I have met once (and with at least two of the people, I do not really recall the meeting as such), and also because it offers me a chance to spend some time "walking in the footsteps" in a very general sense of Granny Johnson. All rather warming in terms of my "bucket list" things! So, so lucky!!!

Well, nothing much else - and it is now just past the "witching hour" in White Chapel, Berkshire, so I think it is time to call it a night and try and ensure that I awake at a reasonable enough time to ensure that I am in time for a walk in the morning with Aunt Pam and the "pups".

My love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment