Wednesday, December 7, 2011

7 December 2011 - Somerset on a Tuesday

The morning dawned and I was not really there to see it happen (curtains drawn and me asleep, despite the fact that the sun rises later with winter approaching). In the mean time, while I was lazily approaching the waking part of the day, Rosie had already been out for a good long walk with Jasper and Kizzie - she walks the dogs twice a day, and tries to ensure that each walk is about an hour long.

I have to say that while I have resolved to get Cleo and Jess back into the habit of walks, I can say one thing for sure - they will in all likelihood NEVER get two walks in a day and pushing it to the two hour daily is probably about as close as the pups will ever get as they do in their dreams when they are "chasing rabbits"!

I'll explain the context of this photo in a little while - but at least you get a chance to see what all three look like. In the mean time, a little diversion as I tell a story about Jasper and Kizzie.


Jasper, the gorgeous golden labbie is a handsome 11-year old. Kizzie's mother (a collie, as I recall), was a rather "scarlet lady" during the latter period of the British summer of 2010, and came knocking on Jasper's door, awakened his carnal instincts and a little while later, Rosie was visited by Jasper's love's owners to be told that Jasper was about to become father to pups to be produced by their collie. Rosie naturally stated that there really was not all that much that she could do about the matter, and when the owners finally realised that this was indeed the truth of the matter, they all then set about finding homes for all off-spring that were to be born. Kizzie was one of the children, and so when she was old enough to be taken from her mother, she joined Rosie and Jasper, and has a wonderful time meeting all sorts of people as she travels all over the place with Rosie and Jasper - or when she is being looked after by anyone who comes to house sit for Rosie when she goes away.

So, back to Tuesday. The timetable held in it a lunch with some friends of Rosie's at a local pub - on the way to which we would travel through what is called Cheddar Gorge. A rather grand gorge that is apparently well known - but not by me!!!

The road cuts all the way through the gorge and it gives one a chance to appreciate the majesty of the area. Here are two pics - the first to try and give an indication of the general sense of the area, and then the second, zooms in and ought to give a chance for you to see two men in blue outfits who are climbing the area - and if you go back to the other pic, you will get some sense of the size of things, as the men are kind of top right of the first pic.



We travelled through this, stopping in various places for photos to be taken - the one above of Rosie, Kizzie and Jasper being taken there as well - before we headed for a pub where we had a lovely lunch with a whole lot of friends who had been at nursing college with Rosie and Pat's sister, Marianne, and with whom Rosie has now become very friendly.

I think, if I recall correctly, that I have mentioned the "hobbit houses" that Andrea's Vaughn referred to in Farnham? Well, there have been a couple of incidents where I have seen these kinds of small doors leading from homes onto the roads - and in the pub, there was also a suit of armour, which I have shown here, but you don't really get a sense of the size of the armour - it is tiny. I think it is something that would have fitted my grandmother and her family quite well, and she was always quite insistent about adding the "half inch" to her (I think) 5 foot 1 inch height. Her one sister was under five foot, and I know that the rest of her siblings were also in the same kind of region in terms of height. But, for what it is worth - a pic of the armour for interest sake:



And after the lovely lunch, full of fun and laughter, we had the only "spell of miserable weather" as such when we left the pub and it was raining.

At that stage I think Rosie thought that she would only be able to drive me through me the city of Wells (well, I assume that it is a city as it has more than one cathedral in it!), but the rain basically ceased, and we were able to travel into Wells and I had a chance to visit the Wells Cathedral at the same time that there was a group choir of what looked like a number of groups of children from various schools (they wore different uniforms - hence my assumption) while they were practising for what was obviously some Christmas related musical event. It was rather lovely.


I watched the choir rehearsing for a little while, wondered about a little in the environs, and then came out (during which time Rosie had taken Jasper and Kizzie back to her car, before coming back to meet me)  and had a chance to explore a little and take one or two pics of various aspects of Wells, before we headed home and a lovely evening spent chatting.

The alley between the Cathedral and "the high street"

This sign is under the arch in the pic above, and says something both about the history and the social period of the time.

The entrance to another part of the Cathedral - something to do with the Bishops - and which, I am afraid, I cannot really recall correctly just now! :-(

The ruins of part of the Bishop's part of the Cathedral

A rather atmospheric pic of part of the "high street" with Rosie in it (and the pups, before she took them back to the car)
And with that, I think it is time I call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment