Monday, May 10, 2010

My trip to India - September/October 2009 - Part 1

Finally, a chance to put down some of what occurred in India when I travelled there last year for the International Round Square Conference and PreConference Tour.

Someone really special in my life, warned me that India would be an assault on my senses. She also told me of the abject poverty, the variety and so much more. She prepared me well! I was amazed at how much of a flood of experiences it was.

People often ask about the experience, and so from the outset, let me try and sum up a few things. I enjoyed the experience; and very pleased I went; met some of the most wonderful people; but, unless under a trip I was able to have more control over, I don't think that I would be rushing back - but at the same time, I would never having given up the opportunity for anything!

In addition, it was the perfect chance for me to get a better idea of what the boys who go over on exchange experience. It has also made me more aware that there are certain people who can make it, and others who would not. It also gave me an incredible respect for the boys who do go over on exchange - it is a very different experience from what we are used to in South Africa!

We left OR Tambo, flew Emirates to Dubai, the caught a connector to Delhi. Emirates was very pleasant - both there and back. During the lay-over in Dubai, I have to confess that I was expecting all sorts of wonders - instead it was a somewhat more sterile environment, but OR Tambo is just as wonderful! I KNOW that I am patriotic, but I have to be honest, OR Tambo is a world-class airport!

Our flight from Dubai to Delhi was my initiation to what I would come to expect in India - curried=effect eggs for breakfast - not my usual fare - so I gave the eggs something of a miss and found some other bits on the plate to eat.

When we arrived at Delhi, we were met by the brother who co-owns the travel agency who had organised the PreConference tour. As became usual I discovered, we were garlanded with marigold - beautiful (as were most wondrous sights in India) but hellish when the lovely flowers marked one's clothes (thank heavens for my wonderful mum!). Herewith a pic of my colleague on the Girls' College side, Christine Pope (Ashton following her wonderful wedding in December), the head of the Girls' College, Ivanka Acquisto, the Governor Representative of the College, Deidre Penfold, and me - all garlanded up!


Then it was into the Delhi traffic!


That has to be seen to be believed!!! I swear the vehicles in India can breathe! The numbers of times we squeezed through spaces that were definitely too small for the actual vehicles in which we travelled to squeeze through. But, we got to the first hotel safe and sound.


It was our next taste of India!


In order to save costs, we had booked three to a room. For future reference this is something that one should query. If you book more than one to a room in an Indian hotel - make sure that you stipulate exactly what you want - if you are okay with sharing a double bed when there are two to a room, then you will fine - we didn't have this information! So our first room was a double bed with a mattress on the floor. Christine's long trip and all the lead up to the trip finally caught up with her and on all our behalves she threw her toys and informed the tour operator that this was NOT something that one could expect from three grown women - Ivanka, Christine and me. He looked so mortified - and simply in his defence he stated that he hadn't been aware that that would be a problem, and we should have simply informed him! We were moved that evening to a twin set for Christine and me, while Ivanka remained in the double bed room.


It was a bit of a rush after our arrival at the hotel and soon we were hurried to get a glass of what was probably more sugar than fruit, posing as fruit juice. Very sweet, but palatable! It was also a moment for laughter as one of the girls in our delegation decided to "model" the collection of garlands, Here Melissa poses with her new fashionable "headgear!


And now, I think that that is the first of the serialised version - and as suggested by my sis, Brenda, I will now try a spellcheck! - Had a wonderful chat to her today!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful to read all about your travels. So pleased you're blogging them, and adding pics.

    ReplyDelete